Friday, October 19, 2012

Selective Attention


2). Give a personal example where you have had selective attention. Why do you think that is? Is there a way you were able to overcome it?

In chapter seven we discuss listening and feedback. Selective attention is when you are choosing one message over another (Harris, Sherblom, 115). When thinking of a personal example where I had selective attention I would hate to say but, it was at church. I am Christian Baptist and have always gone and been involved in church. I am always actily listening to the message the preacher peaches, but sometimes when preachers discuss homosexuality, I find that I tune myself out. For me this is a case of selective attention because I hear everything they are saying until they bring up that word. The text gave am example how if one is interested in a certain subject, when they see an article or show on that subject, that article or show may grab their attention first. I feel that in my example I have selective attention in church when that topic is discuses is because I don’t usually agree with what they are preaching about that subject, and have a real strong belief that is usually against what they believe. Therefore instead of listening or arguing, I tune them out because I feel everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The text sated one of the reasons for selective attention was that; messages contradicting what we believe are likely to be rejected (Harris, Sherblom, 115). I believe that is why I tune these types of messages out as well. However, I believe that there are ways to overcome selective attention, because having selective attention may cause you to miss other important things that don’t necessarily grab your attention so easily. I think one way to overcome these barriers, are to be open minded, as well as to find something positive in the message, so that you can still be intrigued in the conversation. When you can find something positive or interesting for you in the message then you are more likely to pay attention and not have selective attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment