Saturday, October 20, 2012

Listening as a Critical Leadership Skill


This week we read chapter seven which discussed Listening and Feedback. The subject topic that I found most interesting in this chapter was; listening as a Critical Leadership skill. I believe that in every good leader, is a good listener. The texts Indicates that; highly effective people place understanding the other person first, and that understanding comes only through listening (Griffin, 114). A leader leads people. For a leader to lead people they have to know what the people need, so they know where they are leading them too. To know what people want an individual has to be a good listener. They have to listen, and then be able to seek understanding, to lead. Listening has proven to be a critical leadership skill. I loved the quote, “Seek first to understand, then to be understood (Griffin, 114).” This is a quote made for a leader, and I completely agree with it. This is saying to me, is confirmation that to be a god leader you need to be a good listener. This chapter has identified listening, as a critical leadership skill, and I agree. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that leaders should acknowledge what people want. People that have great listening skills will have experiences first hand. For instance, if someone wanted to get more information for a certain subject, they can do their research through the internet. However, if people decide not to take part of online discussions, then they will not know how the community interacts. In order to become a leader, we must experience firsthand or understand what someone else went through. For example, if we prepare ourselves for a group presentation, then we can lead groups to similar or related topics.

    ReplyDelete