One topic that I found interesting in
chapter five, was the different communication contexts. I learned
that there are two communication context; low and high context. High
context communication environment, means that less of the meaning
needs to be explicitly stated. However, low context environments,
must be assumed when there is a group made up of people from diverse
backgrounds, cultures, and understandings and cannot assume that
common understanding, thus doesn't need to be explicitly communicated
(Harris, Sherblom, 77). To my understanding people from different
cultures socialize and perceive things differently. There are also
barriers that make communication difficult thus there has to be
guidelines and rules to make communication more effective. High and
low contexts distinguish how much communication interaction should
occur and how much information needs to be relayed. The more diverse
the group, the more information need to be shared and the more
communication interactions should occur. I agree that these context
environments help establish more effective communication in a diverse
group setting.
u2jazzy, I enjoyed reading what you had to share about low and high context communication. I completely agree with your statement that members of different cultures socialize and perceive life differently. I also agree that in order to effectively communicate, certain guidelines and rules must be followed to engage with another group or break a barrier. I appreciate your examples, explaining the levels of context and how much work it would take to satisfy the needs to every group member in a highly diverse group. It's important as a group to understand and properly communicate with every member, not just those from the same background or culture.
ReplyDeleteAwesome job! Thanks for elaborating on this concept!