Explain
the concept "white men of privilege". Do you agree
with the concept? Why or why not?
According
to the text, “within the United States, organizational behaviors
and expectations have been defined within the context of that
privileged upper-middle-class, middle-age, able-bodied, White male
experience (Harris, Sherblom, 83) This concept indicates that in
white middle-aged, able males have more privileges in the United
States. Studies have proven this to be true because women,
minorities, and the disabled have a more difficult time with
employment.
I
agree with this concept to an extent. I feel that white males have
shown to be those of privileges by the, positions they hold, the ties
they can pull, and the stereotypes that white men have been
characterized by. However as a women of color who is gay, I feel
that times have changed. Although, our past experiences have shown
that white males have always had the upper hand, I don't feel that
should be an excuse or a reason for one to be fail or be in that
position themselves. I don't let my stereotypes define who I am or
depict what I can do. I feel that I can still hold any position I
want and be a person of privileges as well.
Although,
white men are described to be those of privilege in the past for the
reason I agree to an extent. I feel that our President Obama has
proven that times have changed and that is no longer the case. With
education, experience, and hard work anyone can now be that of
privilege. I now feel that are other characteristics that make others
more privileged than white males; for example income, and education.
I
believe that with money a person has more privileges, they can buy
people off, by their way into any where, and fit into the political
circle with no problem. Education also helps to show privileges in
the United States. Your education level will give you more privileges
in employment, politics, and the community. If a white male and a
black women applied for the same position, before the white male
would get the position with out even considering the women. Now
employers look at your education level and experience, so if the
black women has either one, more than the white male she will be more
likely to get a job. I believe that shows privilege. There are some
who still discriminate but there are laws now to protect us from
actions that show favoritism and privilege. I will not let my
characteristics be the reason why I cant do something, or the reason
why I didn't do something. The “white man of privilege” concept,
doesn't exist to me only those who let that be an excuse for why they
cant be successful and that of privilege.
Wow, i totally agree with you. I don't know why i never thought of Obama when we think of white men of privilege. Although he may be just 1 person of color, he holds the most power of that position. But, we can grow blind to that if we don't change the way our system has been constructed. I firmly agree with you that with the power of education, we really can bridge that gap between whites and the colored. Also, we need to educate them that this is a problem. I believe that the youth are so uneducated about the imbalance that our society has. I believe we complain a lot about the power of the white man, but we kind of just sit there and take it too.
ReplyDelete