In
chapter six we discuss verbal and non verbal communication. I have
always found non verbal communication more interesting because it
has proven to be more reliable and truthful. The topic that I found
most helpful are the functions of non verbal communication. Non
verbal communication consist of six functions; repetition,
complement, accentuation, substitution, contradiction, and
regulation. The two functions that I want to emphasize are;
repetition, and substitution. Repetition is reinforcing verbal
messages with non verbal behaviors (Harris, Sherblom, 101). An
example is a person saying, “DONT BE LATE,” while pointing at
their watch. This example may also be used for substitution but in a
different context. Substitution is using non verbal behavior in a
place of verbal one (Harris, Sherblom, 101). An example related to
the first example is a person, not saying, “DONT BE LATE,” but
instead pointing at their watch and lifting their eye brow with a
scolding look. This non verbal behaviors substitute the verbal
communication, however the same point was communicated in both
examples. In non verbal communication it is important to remember
these six non verbal communication to interpret what a person may
really be trying to communicate.
I totally agree with you in regards to nonverbal communication being more interesting. With verbal communication with someone, I feel it is easy for someone to simply say something without it being true. With nonverbal communication, it is so to speak, the giveaway of the person’s true meaning behind what they really mean. For instance, someone might say they are not bored, but how they position themselves in their seat or how they look indirectly at the person might say otherwise. That is why I agreed with you that nonverbal communication is proven to be more reliable and truthful. As the old saying goes, “actions speak louder than words!”
ReplyDeleteHi, u2jazzy
ReplyDeleteI believe that non-verbal communication has a stronger voice compared to verbal communication. There is authority during non-verbal communication, as you mentioned the “Don’t be late”. When people listen, they are constantly reminded of the information that was stated. I agree with you that nonverbal and verbal communication can have repetition and substitution. The example you used for “pointing towards the watch” and verbally saying “don’t be late” both have the same meaning. Repeating “don’t be late” can be annoying and less effective than physically point to the watch. When voices are not exchanged, I believe the communication is more intense since there is nothing more to say when someone is late.
great example!