Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Valuing Diversity


I learned that diversity describes the reality of our national and world community that is made up of people having cultures, languages, and social customs different from our own (Harris, Sherblom, 73). I feel that valuing diversity doesn't come easily because values are something taught. Not everyone teaches their children to value others differences or identities. If I had to make some suggestions on how to enhance a groups ability to value diversity, I would suggest that each member of the group find something that they have in common to recognize that they are not so different, and they may have other things in common as well. I would also suggest, that each member come into the group with an open mind. Having an open mind allows you to see, and learn things you've never heard before. Thus, allowing more options and solutions to a problem. My last suggestion would be to end the cycle. Although, there are many parents have not taught their children about valuing diversity, that doesn't mean not to teach your children. Learning starts at home, and if we want more people to value diversity then we need to start teaching our children and people around us first. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    Good post! I agree with you that it doesn’t come easy for some people. Values are things that are taught/learned and not everyone learns them the say way. Also a lot of people have different values and that can make it hard for them to accept others and to value the diversity in a group setting. I like your suggestion about having people find something that they have in common with others to show that they aren’t so different. Having an open mind is definitely a must but it can be hard for some people. I really agree with your last suggestion about ending the cycle and think it is a great idea! When I have kids of my own I will teach them to value diversity just like my parents taught me. I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete