Rent or live
by Jasmon Jackson
Sometimes we see
homeless people on the street and wonder how they got to where they are.
Then I remember I am
not too far, from being where they are.
Sleeping on the
street or in a car.
I know I work hard,
went to school trying to get further.
Living every day is a
fight to stay above water.
Having to choose
between a roof or food, gas or lights, kids or life.
Working everyday just
to sign it all away.
Affordable housing
seems like a dream far away.
And don’t try to live
on minimum wage there is no housing, no choice, no way.
Having kids means a
bigger place, more money, little space, in a poor place.
One check away from
losing your space, the pressure is on every day and always.
Affordable housing
seems like a dream far away.
Seems like were all
one step away from that homeless way.
Every check goes
straight to rent
Don’t get to keep not
one dime not one cent.
Treating yourself;
that day has come and went.
Treating yourself is
keeping a roof over your head.
Having somewhere to
sleep, and a bed to lay your head.
No comments:
Post a Comment