Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Social Change




Social Change

Social change refers to any significant alteration over time in behavior patterns and cultural values and norms. By “significant” alteration, sociologists mean changes yielding profound social consequences. Examples of significant social changes having long‐term effects include the industrial revolution, the abolition of slavery, and the feminist movement (Social Change Defined, n.d.).

Social change has really just become prevalent in society. More and more people, groups, causes are taking a stand for their needs and what they believe in. Social change is the result of people who fought to change what use to be norms. the phenomenon of resistance to change has been central to the study of social psychology since the very inception of the field. In the late nineteenth century, the American sociologist Thorstein Veblen (1857–1929) took sober notice of the inherently conservative aspects of the human mind—that is, the ways in which human beings are prone to privilege custom and tradition over progress and social change (Jost, 2015).
I have found that I have always been the type of person to fight for social change. Although, I know lie isn’t fair for everyone I still find the passion in me to fight for situations, people, and things that were wrong. After looking back over my life, like other I have chosen to take stance in many social issues that directly affected me! Therefore, I am looking to do the same type of fights, however there are so many social issue that affect me now that I would want to conquer. I know that even as a super hero I can’t save everything and everyone all the time. So I want to consider the top three social circumstance that I would love to address. The first is Fibromyalgia disorder, its misconceptions of the disorder, and fight of proving disability! The second is the housing crisis for middle and lower income American’s! Lastly, but never my last fight for passion is the fight for Gun Control all the world not just the country! All these, affect my life on a daily and I know have traumatize and affected others as well. Awareness and attention to solutions needs to be brought to light!
After taking the Social Change impact quiz, I was highly satisfied with the results and felt the described me completely. I tested to be an Ultra Committed Change maker. After reading the definition I have always fought for what I believes, been part of many social changes, that I started myself, and even started my own non-profit organization where I was again recognized for my fight for social change.  I believe that my passion on what I believe, my ability to fight for change and the knowledge I learned through this course will guide me to be successful in fighting for another social change I believe in. This quiz was just a motivational reminder, who I really am and why I chose to fight!
Communication Theory helps me as a communication scholar because its taught me to determine who is affected be the issue, whose responsible, recognize where the mistake was made then develop and effective response a solution to solve the issue. These steps are what allows me to see opportunities for positive social change.
The potential role for communication experts in social change situations is to establish an effective strategy plan, determine players or stakeholders, determine risk, and then develop a response that shows action. This role can be taken with either of the social changes in which I am considering.

Works Cited

Jost, J. T. (2015). RESISTANCE TO CHANGE: A SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE. Social Research, Vol. 82 : No. 3.
Social Change Defined. (n.d.). Retrieved from CliffNotes: https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guides/sociology/social-change-and-movements/social-change-defined



No comments:

Post a Comment