Norms are expectations and assumptions about behavior, represented in
activities and behaviors that occur regularly. Group norms define the
nature of the group and the relationships among the group members by
expressing the collective values of the membership and by identifying
the place of group members within that value system (Harris,
Sherblom, 41). There are different type of norms; a crucial norm,
peripheral norms, explicit norms, and implicit norms. At SJSU there
are group norms, such as crucial norms that has a primary effect on
how well a group performs. An example would be your academic status
or GPA. SJSU has peripheral norms as well, which outlines the
behaviors that should be engaged in or avoided, and explicit norms,
that outlined in either written or oral form as a policy or
group-sanctioned procedure. There are rules and regulations of the
University that were created to have a safe, fun, and educating
learning environment. This can also relate to, mandatory GPA, general
education, and major requirements. In the group of individuals I
spend time with, is mostly family, and my own children. I would say,
Yes, there are some group norms such as implicated norms, an unstated
preferences of the group, for example cleaning up after yourself,
doing homework, chores, and making sure we spend time as a family. I
both cases these norms took time to adapt too. I was able to adapt to
these norms by first making sure I knew or understand them. Then I
found that making a schedule and routine, was the best way to make
sure I followed the norms as well. I had constant communication with
my professors and advisers to made sure that I had support and help
so that I may perform well, and engage in the right behaviors. I
understand that groups have norms and that best way to follow these
norms are to identify the type, and then make sure you know and
understand them.
No comments:
Post a Comment